index 2006
Letter #28 -  2006

Sub:    French definition
Date:   11/21/2006 2:12:33 PM PST
From:  Fred & Gretchen Gibbs

What is the French word pertaining to Chess to which describes a player can have no good move to make?

Fred Gibbs

Dear viewer,

Assuming that your are talking about 'Zugzwang' the German term that means "compulsion to move" and refers to a situation in which a player would prefer to do nothing because any move leads to a deterioration of his position, we believe the French slang is 'Zwangzug'.

Thank you for visiting us,

back      up      forward

Home  |  Chess Gallery  |  Chess Poster  |  Contact us  |  Español